Role of Coronoid Process in Reconstruction of Temporomandibular Joint
This article reports the role of coronoid process as a free graft and pedicled graft in reconstruction of temporomandibular joint in ankylosis cases. The cases treated were observed clinic-radiologically over a period of 12 months. Various autogenous and alloplastic materials used for reconstruction of TMJ were considered with their advantages and limitations. The use of coronid process for reconstruction of the nose, orbital floor, alveolar ridge and paranasal augmentation has been reported by various authors. Due to its shape and size coronoid process is not a popular option for TMJ reconstruction. The advantage of using coronoid graft is autogenous bone of intramembranous origin harvested through same surgical site. Possibility of graft resorption can be minimized when used as pedicled graft. Postoperative radiograph revealed complete uptake and remodeling of the graft when used both as free and pedicled graft. There was no failure of treatment in terms of reankylosis. Therefore, coronoid process may be a suitable bone resource for condylar reconstruction in patients with TMJ ankylosis.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
How to Cite
Gopalakrishnan, M. V., & Sahoo, B. N. K. (2014). Role of Coronoid Process in Reconstruction of Temporomandibular Joint. International Journal of Medical and Dental Sciences, 3(2). https://doi.org/10.18311/ijmds/2014/19740
- Antonio Nanci. Ten Cate's Book on Oral Histology: Development, Structure, and Function. 7th ed. St Louis: Mosby Elsevier;2008.
- Kaban LB, David HP, Fisher K. A protocol for management of temporomandibular joint ankylosis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1990;48:1145 -51.
- Mercuri LG, James QS. Considerations for the Use of Alloplastic Temporomandibular Joint Replacement in the Growing Patient. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2009;67:1979-90.
- Anil KD, Ramkumar S, Chinnaswami R. Comparision of Gap arthroplasty with and without a temporlis muscle flap for the treatment of ankylosis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2009;67:1425-31.
- Meyer GH. The classic: The architecture of the trabecular bone (tenth contribution on the mechanics of the human skeletal framework). Clin Orthop Relat Res 2011; 469(11):3079-84.
- Kaban LB, Bouchard C, Troulis MJ. A Protocol for for management of temporomandibular joint ankylosis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2009;67:1966-78.
- Chang YM, Tsai CY, Kildal M, Wei FC. Importance of coronoidotomy and masticatory muscle myotomy in surgical release of trismus caused by submucous fibrosis. Plast Reconstr Surg 2004;113(7):1949-54.
- Goldstein M, Maxymiw WG, Cummings BJ, Wood RE. The effects of antitumor irradiation on mandibular opening and mobility: a prospective study of 58 patients. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral radiol Endod 1999 Sep;88(3):365-73.
- Ronald LB, Richard CE, Paxton MC. Nasal Augmentation Using the Mandibular Coronoid as an Autogenous Graft: Report of case. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1994;52:633-38.
- Mintz SM, Ettinger A, Schmakel T, Gleason MJ. Contralateral coronoid process bone grafts for orbital floor reconstruction: An anatomic and clinical study. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1998; 56:1140-44.
- Amrani S, Anastassov GE, Montazem AH. Mandibular Ramus / Coronoid Process Grafts in Maxillofacial Reconstructive Surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010; 68:641-46.
- Chuong PH, Kim SG. The coronoid process for paranasal augmentation in the correction of midfacial concavity. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 2001;28:91-94.
- Obeid G, Guttenberg SA, Connole PW. Costochondral grafting in condylar replacement and mandibular
- reconstruction. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1988;3:177- 82.
- Landa LP, Gordon C, Dahar N, Sotereanos GC. Evaluation of long-term stability in second metatarsal reconstruction of the temporomandibular Joint. J Oral Maxillofac Surg2003;61:65-71.
- Lata J, Kapila BK. Overgrowth of a costochondral graft in temporomandibular joint reconstructive surgery: an uncommon complication. Quintessence Int 2000;31(6):412-4.
- Zhu SS, Hu J, Li J, Luo E, Liang X, Feng G. Free grafting of autogenous coronoid process for condylar reconstruction in patients with temporomandibular joint ankylosis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2008 Nov;106(5):662-7.
- Katsnelson A, Markiewicz MR, Keith DA, Dodson TB. Operative management of temporomandibular joint ankylosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2012;70(3):531-6.
- Liu Y, Li J, Hu J, Zhu S, Luo E, Hsu Y. Autogenous coronoid process pedicled on temporal muscle grafts for reconstruction of the mandible condylar in patients with temporomandibular joint ankylosis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2010 Feb;109(2):203-10.