Efficacy of Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology in Head and Neck Lesions
Background: A perplexing diagnostic and therapeutic dilemma is often presented by masses involving glandular and nodal structures of head and neck - lymph nodes, thyroid gland and salivary glands. Fine needle aspiration of such masses is a rapid, direct and safe adjunctive surgical procedure for obtaining material for cytologic analysis.Objectives: To study the diagnostic efficacy of FNAC in the head and neck lesions and correlate it with histopathology.Material&Methods: It is a study of 289 cases of head and neck area referred to the Department of Pathology, Govt. Medical College Patiala. The cytological diagnosis was compared with histopathology. The false positive/negative data was analysed to calculate the sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value, negative predictive value and overall diagnostic accuracy of the study.Results: The study included 289 cases between 1-70 years in which 59.86% were females and 40.13% were males. Maximum cases were in the age group of 21-30 years. Maximum numbers of cases were from lymph nodes, 139 (48.09%). The overall accuracy was 96.53% with sensitivity of 91.54% and specificity of 98.16%. Positive and negative predictive values were 94.20% and 97.27% respectively.Conclusion: FNAC is an excellent first line method for investigating the nature of palpable lesions in the head and neck region. It can obviate the need for surgery if the lesion is non-neoplastic.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
How to Cite
Singal, P., Bal, M. S., Kharbanda, J., & Sethi, P. S. (2014). Efficacy of Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology in Head and Neck Lesions. International Journal of Medical and Dental Sciences, 3(2), 421–430. https://doi.org/10.19056/ijmdsjssmes/2014/v3i2/81274
- Martin HE, Ellis EB. Aspiration biopsy. Surg Gynecol obstet 1934;59:578-589.
- Koss LG. Thin needle aspiration biopsy (editorial). Acta Cytol 1980;24:1-3.
- Russ JE, Scanlon EF, Christ MA. Aspiration Cytology of head and neck masses. The American journal of surgery 1978;136:342347.
- Tandon S, Shahab R, Benton JI, Ghosh SK, Sheard J, Jones TM. Fine-needle aspiration cytology in a regional head and neck cancer center: Comparision with a systematic review and meta-analysis. Head Neck 2008;30(9):1246-52.
- Patra AK, Nanda BK, Mohapatra BK, Panda AK. Diagnosis of lymphadenopathy by fine needle aspiration cytology. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 1983;26:273-278.
- Thompson HY, Fulmer RP, Schnadig VJ. Metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of tonsil presenting as multiple cystic neck masses. Acta Cytol 1994;38:605-607.
- Frable WJ, Kardos TF. Fine needle aspiration biopsy: Application in the diagnosis of lymphoproliferative diseases. AM J Surg Pathol 1988;12:62-72.
- Hehn ST, Miller TP. Utility of fine needle aspiration as a diagnostic technique in lymphoma. J clin oncol 2004;22:3046-3052.
- Sharma R, Mathur DR. Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) of Palpable lesions of head and neck region. Int J Cur Res Rev 2012;04(22):74-84.
- Suen KC, Quenville NF. Fine needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid gland: a study of 304 cases. J Clin Pathol 1983;36:1036-1045.
- Orell S, Sterrett G, Walters M, Whitaker D. Fine needle aspiration cytology of the thyroid gland. 4th edition. Elsevier Churchill Livingstone; 2005.p.139-142.
- Lowhagen T, Sprenger E. Cytologic presention of thyroid tumors in aspiration biopsy smear. A review of 60 cases. Acta Cytol 1974;18:192-194.
- Kumar PV, Rasool Talei A, Malekhusseini SA, Monabati A, Vaei M. Follicular variant of papillary carcinoma of the thyroid: A cytologic study of 15 cases. Acta Cytol 1999; 43:139-142.
- Gagneten CB, Lowenstein A. The role of fine needle aspiration biopsy cytology in the evaluation of the clinically solitary thyroid nodule. Acta Cytol 1987;31:595-598.
- Bandyopadhyay A, Das TK, Raha, Hati GC, Mitra PK, Dasgupta A. A study of fine needle aspiration cytology of salivary gland lesions with histopatholgical corroboration. J Ind Med Assoc 2005;103(6): 312-314, 316.
- Khafaji BM, Nestok BR, Katz RL. Fine-needle aspiration of 154 parotid masses with histologic correlation. Cancer Cytopathol 1998;84(3):153-159.
- Wong MP, Yuen ST, Collins RJ. Fine-needle aspiration biopsy of pilomatrixoma: still a diagnostic trap for the unwary. Diagn Cytopathol 1994;10(4):365-369.
- B Robert Peters, Vicki J Schnadig, Francis B Quinn Jr, James A Hokanson, Paul Zaharopoulos, M Melinda McCracken, et al. Inter observer variability in the interpretation of fine needle aspiration biopsy of head and neck masses. Arch otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1989;115(12):1438-1442.