Probiotics in Health and Disease
Importance of normal microbial flora in human bodies to maintain optimal health cannot be under estimated. Probiotics or live microorganisms confer health benefit in various diseases. Thus potential of probiotics to maintain health and prevent many disorders without significant adverse effects has opened new options for treating various diseases.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
How to Cite
Grewal, N., Jassal, B., & Kumar, R. (2018). Probiotics in Health and Disease. International Journal of Medical and Dental Sciences, 1649–1652. https://doi.org/10.18311/ijmds/2018/18919
- Vineet A, Sonali K, Nimisha S. Role of Live Microoranisms (probiotics) in prevention of caries: Going on the natural way towards oral health. Ind J Multidisciplinary Dentistry 2012; 2(3):491-6.
- The global probiotics market. Available at: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/d o-probiotics-really-work.
- Azizpour K, Bahrambeygi S, Azizpour A. History and Basic of Probiotics. Res J boil sci 2009;4:409-26.
- Behnsen J, Deriu E, Sassone-Corsi M, Raffatellu M. Probiotics: properties, examples, and specific applications. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med 2013;3:a010074. doi:.10.1101/cshperspect.a010074
- Hemaiswarya S, Raja R, Ravikumar R, Carvalho IS. Mechanism of action of Probiotics. Braziian archives of biology and technology 2013;56(1):113-9.
- Singh VP, Sharma J, Babu S, Rizwanulla, Singla A. Role of probiotics in health and diseases: A review. J Pak Med Assoc 2013;63:253-7.
- Dewit O, Pochart P, Desjeux JF. Breath hydrogen concentration and plasma glucose, insulin and free fatty acid levels after lactose, milk, fresh or heated yogurt ingestion by healthy young adults with or without lactose malabsorption. Nutrition 1988;4:131–5.
- Reid G, Bruce AW, Taylor M. Instillation of Lactobacillus and stimulation of indigenous organisms to prevent recurrence of urinary tract infections. Microecology Therapy 1995; 23:32-45.
- Yasui H, Nagaoka N, Mike A. Detections of bifidobacterium strains that induce large quantities of IgA. Microb Ecol Health Dis 1992;5:155-62.
- Majamaa H, Isolauri E. Probiotics: a novel approach in the management of food allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1997;99:179–85.
- Side effects of probiotics. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ 95s0316 /95s-0316-rpt0282-tab-03-ref-19-jointfaowhovol219.pdf
- Degnan FH. The US Food and Drug Administration and Probiotics: Regulatory Categorization. Clin Infect Dis 2008;46:133-6.
- Hoffman FA, Heimbach JT, Sanders ME, Hibberd PL. Executive Summary: Scientific and Regulatory Challenges of Development of Probiotics as Foods and Drugs. Clin Infect Dis 2008;46:53-7.